A photojournal of the Wooster Square neighborhood in New Haven, Connecticut. And, occasionally a photo of New Haven, of course, of course.

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Haight

Maybe you are not old enough to remember Haight Ashbury in San Francisco and the scene that it was in the 60's.  Maybe you are and just don't remember them.  Either way you can still visit the Haight and get a sense of the now upscale hippiness that it still offers.  Vintage clothing stores, Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream, music shops, Himalayan stores, you name it.  I was there in 1968 (with my mother - OI) to visit.  I was 15, a prime age for exploring. 
There are still lots of Victorian houses painted in lively colors. And now for a little time travel.  Here's the corner of Haight Street and Ashbury Street in 1968. 
That's me on the left with the stripped dress on.  I was buying a copy of the 'Haight Ashbury Tribune'
from a real hippie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment