"Muir Woods National Monument is a remnant of ancient coast redwood forests that blanketed many northern California coastal valleys before the 1800's. Local businessman William Kent bought land in this valley in 1905 to protect one of the last stands of uncut redwoods. To ensure permanent protection, they donated 295 aces of redwoods to the federal government. At Kent's request, it was named for the conservationist John Muir." - from US Dept of the Interior National Park Service brochure.